Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July

A little story, then on to the photo link of Jack's birthday.

Riley and I went to the local Lenexa 4th of July parade today. Our first stop was at Starbucks so daddy could nourish his craving. While standing at the counter Riley says to me, "Daddy, you should have gotten me a watch". The gentleman behind me says, wow, I didn't know 3 year olds can tell time. Riley, acknowledging that he's a 3 year old with superior powers says, "well, I'm a big brother now and big brothers can have watches that tell time".

Continue on to the parade. Grammy was with us and she let Riley wear her jogging watch. As we're walking toward the parade I see Riley just staring at the watch. He probably looked at if for 30-40 yards, completely losing sight of where or what he was doing. I'm sure he's thinking to himself, I'm 3, I'm a big brother, how hard can this time telling thing be.

Well about 50 yards into our walk he tells me, "Daddy, this watch stinks" Now, if you know my son, he could be going 2 directions with this. The literal meaning of the watch doesn't smell good, or the fact that he's mad at it.

Conversation continues......

D: Why Ri?
R: It doesn't know how to tell time
D: Well what do the numbers say?
R: That doesn't matter daddy. (Blatantly trying to change the subject of numbers, as to avoid the "Riley, what number is this" question)
D: Ri, when you look at watches and the numbers are on there, you read them and that's what time it is.
R: That's silly daddy, watches are supposed to tell us what time it is
D: Ya, buddy they are. Those darn Stinky watches!

Jack's Pic's

No comments: