Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Handpuffs

Riley is a typical 3 year old boy, anytime he sees or hears anything involving construction and/or rescue guys(police/ambulance/fire men), it is guaranteed to keep his mind busy for at least the following 7 days.

About a week ago, here's our conversation:

Ri: Daddy, what are handpuffs?
D: Um buddy, what do you mean?
Ri: You know, handpuffs!
D: I'm not sure, buddy, tell me about them.
Ri: HANDPUFFS......screaming......

Note: We were on the way home from having just purchased a new computer, my mind was off in lala land thinking of all the neat things I could do on our blog with new said computer. Obviously, Ri didn't like me leading him on with my bantered conversation.

D: Ok, buddy, let's figure this out, tell me about these handpuffs
Ri: You know like that bad guy mommy saw get taken down by the policeman
NOTE: Thinking in my mind: where has your mommy been taking you?
Ri: Right over there daddy, the policeman tackled a bad guy and put on handpuffs.
D: Oh (lightbulb clicking on), Handcuffs! Oh ya, those are so bad guys can't get away from the policeman.
Ri: Ya, Handpuffs.......as he settled back down in his chair, subtly amused with himself over the fact he was able to explain to me the word "Handpuffs".

I guess Jill and Riley saw a teenager get arrested a few days earlier while driving down the street, and Jill neglected to tell me about all the excitement. So now every time we drive by which is a daily occurrence we get asked......"Daddy, what are handpuffs"....tis the life of a 3 year old!

No comments: